This page is here to list step by step how to use theese maps if you have not used any Garmin products previously (section A and B). and if you're new to the velomap (C: and D:). Note, you don't need a Garmin GPS to use these maps. If you have no Garmin GPS A: and D: will still apply / be usable.
While the "about Velomap.org" section features topics that are different in the Velomap maps compared to other maps, the Tutorials section features topics that are about general topics, not directly related to the Velomap maps.
Mac OSx / Apple Users - please read through part C: and D: - but your main instructions are to be found here: https://www.velomap.org/tutorials/install-maps-mac-osx/
A: Installing Maps to Computer
1. Download the velomap of your choice from https://www.velomap.org/download/
- If you want to use the maps with Qlandkarte GT or on Nix then Unzip the maps with 7-zip (lzma compression) Note that unzippers included in Windows/Mac/Linux probabely can't unzip the .exe files. Windows users simply follow through the .exe installation.
2. Install Mapsource --> https://www.velomap.org/tutorials/install-mapsource/
Linux users, you can install Mapsource following the same procedure in Wine
Note, DO first install at least one (better two) Velomaps of your choice, before installing Mapsource. Alternatively installing Garmin Basecamp is easier (simply google it, and install it).
B: Sending Maps to GPS:
Either simply click on "create gmapsupp.img.bat" which will work only for windows users. Then put the resulting gmapsupp.img file onto the /garmin folder on your GPS device (note newer Garmin GPS allow you to rename the gmapsupp.img to e.g. velode.img (stick to short names). or follow one of the following tutorials:
- /tutorials/send-maps-to-your-gps/mapsource/ if you followed the above steps and installed Mapsource. Sending maps via Mapsource or Basecamp is the only way to get address search on your GPS.
- or create the gmapsupp.img with mkgmap following the tutuorial offered here (any OS that supports Java): /tutorials/send-maps-to-your-gps/mkgmap/ and put the created gmapsupp.img in the /garmin folder of your GPS. You could also use mapsettoolkit or gmaptool to achieve this.
NOTE: on Old GPS all maps have to be sent at once. And can then be activated/deactivated via Menu on your GPS.
On newer devices however best send all maps separately and rename the gmapsupp.img, as you cannot deactivate maps that are sent at the same time with Mapsource/Basecmap.
C: Using the maps on your GPS
Please read through the following three topics:
D: Participate in Openstreetmap and help to make the maps better: