- 1 About the Maps – Please Read
- 2 Programs to Display the VeloMap
- 3 Problems – Help – Tutorials
- 4 Map Downloads by GWDG
- 5.0.1 Map Legend
- 5.0.2 Continents map downloads:
- 5.0.3 Africa map downloads – (contourlines separate except for Canary Islands):
- 5.0.4 Asia Map Downloads – (contourlines separate):
- 5.0.5 Australia-Oceania Premium map downloads:
- 5.0.6 North America Premium map downloads:
- 5.0.7 South America Premium map downloads:
- 5.0.8 Europe map downloads:
- 5.0.9 German Bundeslaender:
- 5.1 Contourlines Premium Downloads (v.2 october 2012)
- 6 Change Layout and Contrast of the maps
- 7 Velomap (and Openmtbmap) Premium maps download in Mac OSx format (gmap)
- 8 Feedback
About the Maps – Please Read
Maps are available Worldwide. They are usually updated every Friday.
- Map Data
Thanks to http://viewfinderpanoramas.org for the best DEM (contourlines) available on the net.
– For Copyrights please see the Installer or if you unextract the installer see the file copyright.txt.
Programs to Display the VeloMap
Besides being shown on (nearly) all Garmin GPS devices – most People will use Garmin Basecamp (v3 or later) or Garmin Mapsource to show the maps on their Desktop and plan tours/trips.
For anyone on the good side of earth Openmtbmap.org maps are also correctly shown in Qlandkarte_GT – QLandkarte_GT is compatible with all big OS (Linux, MacOSx and well Windows too). Linux users can alternatively install Mapsource 6.13.6 in WINE. After unpacking you find instructions for Qlandkarte / Linux use in a .txt file (informations… .txt).
For Linux/Unix users there is also a script to unpack the maps, and automatically create a gmapsupp: https://github.com/btittelbach/openmtbmap_openvelomap_linux
Mapsource – I wouldn't use any version but 6.16.3. Mapsource versions 6.14 to 6.15.6 are complete junk, if you use it, please update. Also note that Mapsource versions prior to 6.16.1 do not show all ways and pathes so they are not really usable. Mac OSx users please use Qlandkarte GT or convert maps and use Basecamp 3 or Roadtrip: convert-maps-for-mac-os-x-roadtrip/
There are also maps directly convertet for Mac OSx – scroll down or click on: http://www.velomap.org/download/#velomap-premium-maps-download-in-mac-osx-format-gmap
Problems – Help – Tutorials
A Beginners Guide can be found here: get started with VeloMaps
Install Mapsource: tutorials/install-mapsource/
To install the maps, just run the .exe. (note you can unpack the .exe with 7zip)
Send Maps to GPS with Mapsource: tutorials/send-maps-to-your-gps/mapsource/
I recommend to always send maps to an external data card and not internal memory. (this way if something goes wrong, or maps would be damaged you run less danger of wrecking your GPS).
Alternative: Use create_gmapsupp.img.bat or create_gmapsupp.img_with_mkgmap.bat and place the newly created gmapsupp.img into /garmin folder on your GPS. Address search cannot be included this way.
Send maps to GPS with mkgmap (for Unix users): tutorials/send-maps-to-your-gps/mkgmap/
You can also send maps to your GPS with QlandkarteGT
Please also read the FAQ
- The address search is more or less working correctly now (problems related to OSM address data crazyness excluded). Some problems with Umlauts may happen though.
- General: Autorouting over (very) long distances on GPS works only with Via Points. If you plan your routes on a PC solve this issue with WinGDB: plan-routes/
- Autorouting needs attributes like tracktype, lanes, routes, smoothness, class:bicycle and others to work well. So keep care to enter those details into OSM. (not all are needed, but enough for me to guesstimate wheter a street is cyclefriendly/mtbriendly or not).
- Non Connected ways and overlapping ways without node, this is the main problem and a problem of the underlaying map data – please check here: http://keepright.ipax.at/report_map.php
Only check/enable: "allmost Junctions" , "intersections without junctions" as well as "overlapping ways". This helps you to quickly spot the erros. You can then follow the link to Potlatch (or also JOSM is integrated for JOSM users) and quickly correct mistakes!
Watch out not to connect ways that are not connected in reality (i.e. a way crosses another on a brigde, here no connecting node is the right solution).
- If you use Windows 2000 you need to install the "reg" command : Reg cmd at Microsoft if you want to run the batchfiles (.bat files). The Batches are incompatible to earlier Windows versions.
- Note sometimes sea is missing. This is not an issue, but currently not differently possible. It is usually a problem in OSM data.
Overlapping maps in border regions
While you can join maps of different countries, routing over the boundary is a bit shaky, and you will have one map overlaying the other with white background. As long as mkgmap cannot create randomly shaped overview maps (currently only rectangles), this problem is not solvable. There is however the possibility to download a Europe map, which will be updated every 4-6 weeks. Get Europe Map instead.
Velomap and Openmtbmap of the same Country — Problems
If you install an openmtbmap and a VeloMap of the same country with contourlines as separate download (and Spain as well as Canary Islands), you should only send the contourlines once (meaning with either Openmtmbap or Velomap of the country). Else you GPS might not show the maps, or worse not even start until maps are deleted. There are several possibilities.
a) Install both maps without contourlines and contourlines separately (install separate contourlines only map option in installer). You have not trouble.
b) be careful here: Select the map as usual in Basecamp/Mapinstall, then go to the list of the selected tiles ready to be sent to the GPS, scroll down to the bottom, and unselect the contourlines only tiles from the list.
– This is not a problem with countries where contourlines are fully integrated like Germany, Alps, Austria,……
Notice on Updating Maps
Just run the velomap_country_setup.exe again.
Overlapping maps in border regions
While you can join maps of different countries, routing over the boundary is a bit shaky, and you will have one map overlaying the other with white background. As long as mkgmap cannot create randomly shaped overview maps (currently only rectangles), this problem is not solvable. There is however the possiblity to download a Europe map, which will be updated every 4-6 weeks. Get Europe Map here (donation needed): www.velomap.org/support/europe-map/
Map Downloads by GWDG
Maps are updated once weekly.
For some countries contourlines (height lines) are available as separate downloads – please scroll down to: contourlines. To unpack the contourlines you need 7zip or Winrar (no the downloads are not broken).
To install unzip and run "VeloMap_country_setup.exe", Qlandkarte GT users only need to unzip the .exe maps (7-zip lzma2 compresion e.g. with p7zip) and open the map via Qlandkarte GT (choose .tdb and osmmap*.img). Linux Users also look at this script to unpack/create gmapsupp.img – After unpacking you find instructions for Qlandkarte / Linux use in a .txt file (informations… .txt).
Note 1: older GPS (non touchscreen) run slower the more maps are inside memory. For 60CSx or Vista/Legend HCx I recommend to not use more than 2 GB of maps, else your GPS gets slow.
Note 2: Address Search should work more or less correctly now on all GPS and Garmin Software.
- velomap – Legend for Mapsource/Qlandkarte_GT Installation
- For the map legend in OSM format and the style-files, please look at the SVN (see FAQ)
Continents map downloads:
- velomap – Europe
- VeloMap – Africa
- velomap – Antarctica
- VeloMap – Asia
- VeloMap – Australia-Oceania
- VeloMap – South-America
- velomap – Central-America
Africa map downloads – (contourlines separate except for Canary Islands):
- velomap – Burkina-Faso
- velomap – Cameroon
- velomap – Canary Islands
- velomap – Congo Democratic Republic
- velomap – Egypt
- velomap – Ethiopia
- velomap – Guinea
- velomap – Guinea-Bissau
- velomap – Ivory-Coast
- velomap – Libya
- velomap – Liberia
- velomap – Madagascar
- velomap – Morocco
- velomap – Nigeria
- velomap – Sierra-Leone
- velomap – Somalia
- velomap – South Africa and Lesotho
- velomap – Tanzania
Asia Map Downloads – (contourlines separate):
Australia-Oceania Premium map downloads:
North America Premium map downloads:
South America Premium map downloads:
Europe map downloads:
- VeloMap – Albania
- VeloMap – Andorra
- VeloMap – Austria
- VeloMap – Azores
- velomap – Belarus
- VeloMap – Belgium
- VeloMap – Bosnia-Herzegovina
- VeloMap – Bulgaria
- VeloMap – Croatia
- VeloMap – Cyprus
- VeloMap – Czech Republic
- VeloMap – Denmark
- VeloMap – Estonia
- VeloMap – Faroe Islands
- VeloMap – Finland
- VeloMap – France
- VeloMap – Germany -> see also 'Bundeslaender' below
- VeloMap – Great Britain for Northern Ireland please go to Ireland
- VeloMap – Greece
- velomap Greenland – see North America
- VeloMap – Hungary
- VeloMap – Iceland
- VeloMap – Ireland and Northern Ireland
- VeloMap – Isle of Man
- VeloMap – Israel and Palestine
- VeloMap – Italy
- VeloMap – Kosovo
- VeloMap – Latvia
- VeloMap – Liechtenstein
- VeloMap – Lithuania
- VeloMap – Luxembourg
- VeloMap – Macedonia
- VeloMap – Malta
- VeloMap – Moldova
- VeloMap – Monaco
- VeloMap – Montenegro
- VeloMap – Netherlands
- VeloMap – Norway
- VeloMap – Poland
- VeloMap – Portugal
- VeloMap – Romania
- Velomap – Russia European Part
- VeloMap – Serbia
- VeloMap – Slovakia
- VeloMap – Slovenia
- VeloMap – Spain for Canary Islands see Africa Downloads
- VeloMap – Sweden
- VeloMap – Switzerland
- VeloMap – Turkey
- VeloMap – Ukraine
- VeloMap – baden-wuerttemberg
- VeloMap – bayern
- VeloMap – berlin
- VeloMap – brandenburg
- VeloMap – bremen
- VeloMap – hamburg
- VeloMap – hessen
- VeloMap – mecklenburg-vorpommern
- VeloMap – niedersachsen
- VeloMap – nordrhein-westfalen
- VeloMap – rheinland-pfalz
- VeloMap – saarland
- VeloMap – sachsen-anhalt
- VeloMap – sachsen
- VeloMap – schleswig-holstein
- VeloMap – mtbthueringen
France – French DOM-TOM:
Contourlines Premium Downloads (v.2 october 2012)
Most countries, especially the popular ones, have the contourlines already integrated. However for several countries the contourlines are rather large (rule of thumb if contourlines have more data than the maps) and I integrate them, but you need to download them separately (once). The installer will ask for the contourlines file as soon as you activate the checkbox to integrate the contourlines in the installer. You do not need to extract the contourlines – this will be done by the installer (and is only needed once. On updates you don't need to redo it).
In general it is fine to only update the map, as I try to change the contourlines as seldom as possible.
- Africa_contours.7z (1.8 GB)
- Antarctica_contours.7z (88 MB)
- Australia-Oceania_contours.7z (800 MB)
- Australia_contours.7z (300 MB)
- Asia_contours.7z (4GB)
- Central-America_contours.7z (420 MB)
- Europe_contours.7z (800 MB)
- South-America_contours.7z (1.3 GB)
Asia is additionally available in three parts. Interval is 25m and Contourlines are NOT integrated into the maps. You can still download them however:
And as for the Alps, there are also Asia Contourlines with 20m interval of the Himalayas
- Himalaya.7z (630 MB) – fully based on Viewfinderpanoramas.org data.
- China_contours.7z (1.4 GB)
- Russia-Asian-Part_contours.7z (1.4GB)
- Congo Democratic Republic_contours.7z
Change Layout and Contrast of the maps
On installation you can choose the layout of the maps. Traditional layout is for Qlandkarte GT, Mapsource and Basecamp and offers a good layout and design for big screens. On the GPS device velo.typ offers high contrast for best orientation while riding your bike or walking. For riding your roadbike, or commuting I have included the "racing bicycle" layout. The Racing Bicycle layout is heavily simplified, and focusses on the street network. Buildings or other distracting objects are not shown. Also most POI are not shown.
In order to change the layout – simply run velomap_country_change_layout.exe (this is also linked in your Start –> Programs Folder for each map). This also enables you to quickly change the layout before sending maps to your GPS device, and then quickly change it back for better planning on your desktop.
You can change .TYP-files – which are responsible for the layout, and therefore the map colours, to your liking by using http://www.maptk.dnsalias.com/ to adapt the .TYP files. Do not use http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi because it is not fully compatible and may corrupt the .TYP file.
Velomap (and Openmtbmap) Premium maps download in Mac OSx format (gmap)
All Velomaps and Openmtbmaps are also available for download in gmap/gmapi Mac OSX format: you can get them here: http://www.velomap.org/download/macosx/
Please comment if you like theese maps or even better tell other people about them (forums, blog about it, twitter, etc…) In case maps break Mapsource or don't work – please write exactly which downloads don't work and the time of download as well as your OS and Mapsource version.. Please note, I will delete your comment without notice if it is explained here http://velomap.org/download/#problems-help-tutorials or in the FAQ