- Install Mapsource without owning a Garmin Device
- Classic Way of Installation without already having Mapsource installed (please install everything as administrator)
- Advanced Way of Installation without already having Mapsource installed
- Attention Mapsource 6.13 6.14 and 6.15 Users:
- Parallel installation of several Mapsource versions:
- Comments (6)
Install Mapsource without owning a Garmin Device
There are several programs to display VeloMaps on your PC/notebook. The most popular is still Garmin Mapsource – even though it is superseeded by Garmin Basecamp and also Qlandkarte GT is on the way to overtake it. Garmin Mapsource is not develloped anymore, but version 6.16.3 runs still pretty well and has no big bugs. There is a catch however. Garmin only provides updates, no actual installation packages. Therfore below I describe two ways how you can install Mapsource legally nevertheless.
People who have bought a Garmin GPS will have a CD shipped with it including Mapsource. I recommend to use the most uptodate version by Garmin (as of writing this is 6.16.3)
Earlier versions of Mapsource (also 6.13.6) are now incompatible with the VeloMaps as they do not show all ways and streets!!!! Use at least 6.16.1 or higher. Note that while Basecamp shows contourlines, Garmin Mapsource doesn't. Hence for general use I recommend Garmin Basecamp instead.
Classic Way of Installation without already having Mapsource installed (please install everything as administrator)
- 1. Install Garmin Basecamp. You can download Garmin Basecamp here:http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/basecamp This is also a great tool for viewing maps, or planning routes and tracks.
- 2. Download and Install at least two VeloMaps (from VeloMap.org/download )
- 3. Download and install MapSource 6.16.3 from here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
- Note Mapsource will only install if you have done 1. and 2. before. It is essential that you first install two maps AND Garmin Basecamp – else you have to do the advanced way of installation below
I recommend installing a second map (good idea is to install the map legend so you can get to know the layout!!!) because you need to have two maps installed before the map selector shows up. Essentially 1 map would be enough also.
Advanced Way of Installation without already having Mapsource installed
- First install at least one VeloMap (just run the .exe)
- Attention, Mapsource will not install correctly until you have a at least one map installed. So if you forgot step 1, do it now! Go to http://www.velomap.org/download/ and download the map(s) of your choice and install at least one map!
- Download latest MapSource from Garmin ( http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209 ).
- Unpack or extract the content of setup_MapSource.exe using 7zip (www.7zip.org), WinRAR or another good unpacker.
- From the extracted files, first run MAIN.msi.
- Then, run Setup.exe. Note: The sequence to execute Main.msi and then Setup.exe is important to avoid “Previous MapSource not found!” error.
- Garmin MapSource is now installed. I recommend installing a second map (good idea is to install the map legend so you can get to know the layout!!!) because you need to have two maps installed before the map selector shows up.
Note I still recommend to install Garmin Basecamp nevertheless: Get it here: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/basecamp
Attention Mapsource 6.13 6.14 and 6.15 Users:
Please update to at least 6.16.1 — earlier Mapsource versions miss a lot of ways and streets and make the maps unusable.
Parallel installation of several Mapsource versions:
Simply unpack a mapsource update (see links above), run MAIN.msi and then rename mapsource.exe to something else. e.g. mapsource_6.13.6.exe and then copy it into your main Garmin Mapsource installation folder (usually c:/garmin). Now you can decide which of the two versions you want to use.